The food industry is India’s fastest-growing sector. It is essential to implement and comply efficiently with the regulations in order to maintain food safety standards.FSSAI is the apex authority established in the country for the establishment of scientific standards for food products. The FSSAI ensures that the healthy, quality, and safe product is available for end-user consumption.
It is imperative to obtain registration and licenses from the FSSAI for all food company operators engaged in the storage, manufacture, processing, transport, and distribution of foodstuffs. In India, FSSAI is the ultimate authority to issue a Food Safety and Standard Act 2006 License and Registration. FSSAI is the apex authority under the Indian Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Also read- fssai license online
The FSSAI (Food Safety and Norms Agency of India) has a number of key functions listed below.
- To establish scientific standards for all foodstuffs
- Manufacture, storage, distribution, import, and sale of food products in India must be regulated
- to advise and provide technical assistance in the formulation of rules and policies on food safety and nutrition to the central and state governments
- Food adulteration prevention
- Conduct an investigation of this Act’s administration and implementation
- To raise awareness of the safety of food in India
- To develop guidelines for food testing laboratories
The FSSAI has a major role in ensuring that all food safety compliance and adherence to standards are met by the Food Business Operator so that the consumer is able to consume food safely, healthily, and in quality. The Food operator requires that it complies with all the obligations to obtain FSSAI licenses and registrations to start or operate its Indian food company. The FBO must apply individually for registration or the license and registration and must apply for registration or license based on the annual turnover of the FBO. However, confusion is most often associated with the need for or not an FSSAI license for an organization or person.
All Food company operators or any person or entity which – must be registered FSSAI.
- Producer or sell any type of food product on his own or small retailer, hawker, temporary stallholder, roaming supplier etc., Someone who sells the food products at meetings such as religious and social gatherings but not caterers. somebody
- Every other food operator that does not have annual sales of Rs 12 lakhs, including cottage and small industries related to food business or any food business.
- Additionally, the food business operator whose capacity for food production is not more than 100 kg per day or for the treatment or purchase of milk per day does not exceed 500 liters per day, or the capacity for slaughter is not greater than 2 large animals or 10 small animals, or 50 poultry animals per day, or less
Food business operators must submit form A when applying for FSSAI registration. Form A is the basic form in which a food business operator is involved. Form A (FBOs). In addition to Form A, in accordance with its business activities, the FBO must submit other important documents. FSSAI Licence
Any person or entity or food business operators need to acquire the FSSAI license in order to operate the food business in India. The FSSAI License is basically two types of the-
- State FSSAI License
- Central FSSAI License
The FBO must obtain the FSSAI from the relevant authority based on the nature and size of the food businesses. In order to obtain the Central FSSAI License and the Medium Size FBO, big FBOs engaged in the manufacture, processing, sale, importation, transporting and distribution of the foodstuffs must obtain the national FAIL. This FSSAI food license is locational and is known as binding.
- If the food business operator in the food sector has more than twelve lakhs in annual turnover, it must obtain the FSSAI License-
- Any food business with an output of more than 100 kg or liters per day, or the handling and collection of the milk per day is more than 500 lit.,mres per day, or more than 2 large animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day is a slaughtering capacity.
The FSSAI License is granted for a period of 1 to 5 years. The FSSAI license needs to be renewed before its expiry that is not less than 30 days. If food companies require a license for more years, they will have to pay a higher fee.
To get the license, the food business operators must complete the FSSAI License Form B, an obligatory document. Annual sales of 12-20 lakhs must be completed by food business operators with the State License (FORM B) as well as by food operators with annual sales of over 20 lakhs (FORM C). In addition, after the license has been obtained, the Food Business Operators (FBOs) must display a prominent location in the premise of the License Format and must inform the authorities of changes to business activities and changes.
All food companies must strictly comply with the food security rules and standards and must comply with the FSSAI rules. It is impérative for the FBO to comply very carefully with food safety law and to ensure compliance with all requirements or to be liable for penalties or the cancellation of its existing food registration or permit.
You can visit the FSSAI website for detailed information about the FSSAI Registration and FSSAI License. You can also download and submit the necessary forms online.