As the food safety concern and demand for quality food products is constantly increasing, regulatory authorities take stringent steps to ensure that the citizens of the country receive the highest quality, safe and wholesome food. Prior to the sale of any foodstuff on the market, different parameters are checked to ensure it is safe to consume according to scientific standards. Today, the consumer is aware of the health and is ensuring the buying of high quality, non-adulterating and hygienic food products. With the growing awareness, consumers today prefer to buy an F-approved food product.
If you are planning to start or are already running a food business in India, then it is imperative to obtain a license from the Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI). FSSAI license process is the apex body governed by the Indian Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. FSSAI regulates the manufacturing, processing storage, sales, distribution, and import of food products in India. The FSSAI provides the license for safety and standardization of the food products and no legitimate food business operator or retailer will stock or sell the products if they are not licensed by FSSAI.
For all restaurants, manufacturers, traders, sellers, and all food business operators involved in the food business, FSSAI’s license has now been obligatory. In principle, the FSSAI License is two kinds of
- FSSAI Central License
- State License FSSAI
State FSSAI License
A state FSSAI license is necessary to obtain the medium-sized FBO for its operation in India. The FSSAI State License applies to mid-sized firms with Rs.12-20 crores annual turnover. The FBO falls under the national license or registration according to eligibility. Details of eligible status and document requirements on the FSSAI website are available for food company operators.
Eligibility Criteria for State License
The food business operators eligible criteria for the State License by the FSSAI (Food Safety & Standards Authority of India) is mentioned below-
- milk chilling units for the handling or processing of over 501 and up to 50,000 LPD per day, or 2.5 MT up to 2,50 MT per annum of milk solids;
- Vegetable Oil and vegetable oil processing units producing solvent and refineries up to 2 mt a day with a turnover above 12 lakh, including oil expellers.
- Units of massacre Larger than 2 and up to 50 animals; Larger than 10 & up to 150 Small Animals; (More than 50 & up to 1000 per day)
- Units for processing meat up to 500 kg/day or 150 MT/year
- Controlled atmosphere+ cold except storage storage Up to 50,000 MT capacity
- Store capacity up to 10,000 MT (Cold/Cold)
- Store capacities of up to 1,000 MT (Controlled Atmosphere +Cold)
- Wholesaler- sales of up to 30 crores annually
- Retailer – up to 20 crores in sales per year
- Sales company – sales of up to 20 crores per year
- Provider- up to 20 crores turnover
- Catering – up to 20 crores turnover
- Dhaba, boarding house serving food, banquet halls, restaurants, food stalls, all other food sales facilities – over 12 lakhs a year. Dhaba
- Club/canteen- More than 12 lakhs annually in sales
- Hotels – Three stars, above and below five stars, or up to three stars up to 4 stars.
- Restaurant- sales of up to 20 Crores annually
- Carrier – up to 100 cars or up to thirty crores turnover
- Seller- sales of up to 20 crores
Duration of FSSAI State License
A minimum period of 1- 5 years shall be allowed for the FSSAI registration or license. In order to license expiry of no more than 30 days, FBO must renew its FSSAI State.
Suggested read – fssai license online
The operating Food business in more than one State
In this case, the FBO must have a central permit for the registered office and an individual state license for each manufacturing unit in the particular states if a food business operator has a food business in multiple states. State authority operating in each state shall issue the State License.
To obtain the FSSAI State license, the food-business operator shall file the application and submit the required documents with multiple declarations and resolutions. These declarations and forms must be made and submitted to the competent authority in a legitimate manner in order to obtain the State License without any problems. The operators of food enterprises need to complete and submit Form B, a document required by the FSSAI license, in order to obtain the license.
FSSAI State License Application
You can visit the FSSAI website to file the FSSAI State License directly with the government. FSSAI provides an online user-friendly platform for the application of the national license of the food business operators from which the license can easily be requested and obtained online. A valid mobile and e-mail number is required for the FBO to register. The FBO can apply for a State license after providing compulsory details and documents FBOs receive a recognized receipt for their reference in the successful online application. If the service provider complies with all the requirements laid down in the FSSAI regulations, the license will be provided within 45-60 working days by a statutory authority. Once a license has been issued, the FBO may modify the license, renew the license and apply for a duplicate online license.
If, however, the FSSAI Regulations are not complied with, the operator of the food business will be liable or his license may be canceled.